We offer an initial diagnostic telephone consultation free of charge. If you wish to pursue a matter with us we will assist in guiding you through funding options. These include:-
• Legal aid – this is available for clinical negligence and, in exceptional circumstances personal injury. As specialist panel members we have a franchise from the Legal Aid Agency to conduct publicly funded cases on your behalf. Legal aid is strictly means tested, and depending on your income, the potential financial value of the claim, and its prospects of success, a financial contribution may be required.
• Legal expenses insurance – you may already have legal expenses attached to your household or motor insurance, or even your credit card. Your insurers may have panel solicitors, but you have freedom to choose your solicitor and we can advise you on this.
• No win no fee (conditional fee agreement) – in appropriate cases we may agree to pursue your claim on the basis that we will not charge, or will only charge at a discounted rate, for work done on your behalf if the claim cannot continue or legal action fails.
• For personal injury cases we are members of the Law Society approved Accident Line and have delegated authority to arrange insurance to protect your claim. Insurance is important because, whilst we may agree that we will not seek payment of our charges if legal action fails, if court proceedings have been issued you may face an order for costs by the successful defendant. Insurance will protect you from this.
• Whilst we can agree not to charge, medical and other experts and the court will need to be paid their expenses. This too can be covered by insurance. We use specialist barristers who may also act for you on a no win no fee basis.
• Please contact someone from our team who will be happy to explain how the scheme works in more detail.
• Private paying – you may wish to pay privately for the work that we do, and we recognise that it is important that you understand the way in which work is charged for, and what our hourly rates are. We will be happy to agree a budget or fixed fee with you for various stages of work. We also offer clients the opportunity to pay by monthly instalments because we recognise this will help you manage your funds.
• Again we may be able to secure insurance to protect your claim in the event that legal action fails and there is an order to pay the other side’s costs.